What Exactly are Adaptogens?!
Adaptogens have been gaining popularity the last few years and you may have seen it popping up on drink menus lately and in the health and wellness industry, but might be wondering what exactly they are and why you might want to consider adding them to your wellness routine.
Adaptogens are a class of healing herbs and plants that have long been used in natural medicine. They are a unique class of herb that helps restore, protect, and balance the body. Adaptogens don’t have a specific action, but rather helps the body respond to stressors to normalize physiological responses and increase the body’s resistance to stress.
In response to stress the body is meant to release the hormone cortisol, but elevated levels of cortisol over a long period of time or chronic stress will negatively affect the body’s physiological systems, including the thyroid and adrenal glands, by causing the body to go into fight-or-flight mode. Under normal circumstances the body and brain will respond to the stressor and then go back to normal once the “threat” is gone, however in modern society people are experiencing this response too frequently and are in a state of constant stress. This Chronic stress can burn out the adrenal glands, cause premature aging, and interfere with normal digestive processes.
Adaptogens are an amazing natural health product to include in your wellness routine and luckily our new booster pack, GOOD TO GO, includes these amazing herbs for optimal benefit.
Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know when GOOD TO GO is launching and for some exclusive offers!
See below for a more in depth look at some common adaptogens and their main functions:
1. Ashwagandha (Indian Ginseng)
- Helps to relieve stress and reduce cortisol levels
- Increases energy
- Improves concentration
- Human studies have shown it to reduce blood sugar levels in both healthy individuals and those with diabetes
- May help reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety and fatigue
2. Holy Basil
- Known to treat a large number of conditions including skin diseases, infections, liver disorders, common cold and cough, fight bacteria and viral infections.
- Powerful anti-aging supplement
- Cognition- enhancing benefits
- Provides an anti-fatigue defense that improves mental performance and ability to concentrate
- May help reduce acute stress response from short duration exercise
- Functions as an antioxidant
- It has been studied as potentially effective in helping with a number of conditions including job performance, loss of appetite, sleep disturbances, irritability, high blood pressure, headaches and fatigue.
Be sure to always speak with a health professional before starting a new supplement to see if it’s right for you!